Monday, February 27, 2012

P31 Challenge: Day 19

Hey P31 Ladies! Are you starting to feel any changes in your habits or thought patterns?

Just curious. I have.

I feel like God is really asking me to live what I'm learning. I made breakfast yesterday even though I didn't really feel like it. It honestly set a good tone for my day. It was Sunday and, yes, we should have gone to church. We didn't though because we thought we were going to meet up with some out-of-town family for lunch. Even though that didn't happen, I think we just needed some down time as a family. My parents were out of town for the weekend, so it was nice to sort of re-group.

Our passage today is one that represents a daily goal of mine-

28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
   her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
   but you surpass them all.” 

What we wouldn't do to get a reaction from the people in our lives. You know, it must be instinctive as women for us to desire these words of affirmation. If it weren't, I'm sure that we would never dig for compliments. You don't do that? really? (Did you like the lasagna tonight, sweetie? How did you like your lunch today?) Uh huh.. sure you don't. 


The things people say to us really land a spot in our long term memory sometimes. It's the very reason we all remember high school so vividly. The first heart break. Even some of the first reprimands I received as a child (like a teacher expressing frustration with my 5-year old, left-handed self trying to use scissors.) We take it to heart.

I don't suggest indoctrinating yourself to the point you become superstitious about this, but words matter.
Proverbs 18:21
James 3

My challenge to you today is simple- Don't act our desperation to get a compliment. Sometimes we're even willing to put ourselves down just to have someone pat us on the back. Sometimes we can exaggerate our feelings (physical or emotional) for the sake of a reaction. It's scary when you catch yourself doing it!

You are created in His image, even if the person you love doesn't have the concept of "taming the tongue" down, I want you to know that God himself has spoken life over you. Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self Control all became part of your identity the moment that the Holy Spirit moved into your heart (Fruit of the Spirit.) You do not need to beg for approval from anyone because the result will only be superficial.

This passage says "her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also..." First thing in the morning they get up thinking about their love for this woman, not because she asks them to, but because everyday she is presenting herself as an overall loving, compassionate, selfless person. People like that are easy to love. Instead of us focusing on this as a result, let's decide to be women that people love to love.

I'm an asset, not an obligation-
Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment