Monday, February 20, 2012

P31 Challenge: Day 14

Hey Ladies! Hope you have all enjoyed your weekend and the extra day off/ with the hubby if you had it. I didn't, but thankfully Allen is only gone for a little over 6 hours a day, so we get to enjoy a lot of time together.

If you're a little backed up, don't worry! Remember that these are being written so that you can take it at your own pace. That said, we are diving into our third and final week. That means all that we've absorbed so far will stop looking like little pieces and begin to paint a complete picture in our minds. I am really excited about that.

Here we go!


24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
 and supplies the merchants with sashes. 

Remember the other day when I said I didn't know what exactly her business was? Now I do. And just to be clear, linen and wool are two different things, so this means she makes stuff for home and then she makes stuff to sell. Busy lady! 

She's got something that people are willing to buy. Not only is she able to interest people in her garments, but she has even found something that the other merchants want from her. What does this say to you? 

Creativity. 

Creativity comes pretty easily to some people. It depends on what your strengths are usually, but if you're a people oriented person, you might be creative with words (like me, I like to write and I would love to get into marketing, too.) Perhaps you're someone who internalizes a lot of things and you use a form of art to express it. Maybe you get creative in the kitchen (and maybe it doesn't always turn out well.. case and point: soy sauce steaks.) 

But there comes a point for all of us when our creative juices just aren't flowing so freely. Sometimes it happens when we have an immediate need or challenge and the solution isn't obvious or enjoyable. It's in those moments that it is totally ok to ask God for creativity! He is Sovereign in all areas, so please believe He can and will send some ideas your way. He's so great in that way, you know? He never changes and yet he's always current. 

A big area where I've really had to ask for fresh eyes is in my clothes. A few years back when I first got involved in ministry, my leaders came to me and said, "some women are complaining that you aren't dressing appropriately enough and they don't want it to be a problem for their husbands." 

Flabbergasted and embarrassed, I didn't know what to do! I certainly was not trying to dress in a way that would cause problems for someone else's marriage. Yet, I had to hear what people were saying and reevaluate. It was a long hard process, starting out by wearing the same black skirt and long, loose jacket every week. Gradually, though, I was able to see things differently, like a man might see it (only by asking my husband, of course.) By the time it I was ready to leave that ministry, I was comfortable wearing jeans dressed up with heels and a blazer/ cardigan. But it did take some work. Letting go of clothes I felt comfortable in, and changing those little things for the sake of others. 

I can't say I have it all down even now, but I do know that when I look in the mirror today, I see something different than what I did 5 years ago. I look in my closet and think about interesting combinations. I try to pull it all together, and make it work while looking totally appropriate for my age and my body and also out of respect for my husband. Not out of a legalistic motive, but one of love, I seek approval from him before I buy something. I want to know that he's comfortable with how I'm dressing, too. 

This is just one example of an area where God has given me creativity. Hopefully, if there's an area you feel needs some improvement, He can bring new ideas to life for you too. 

Renewed Every Morning-
Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment