Saturday, February 18, 2012

P31 Challenge: Day 13

It's 5 minutes until midnight, so I actually think I failed today. Thankfully tomorrow is our day off so I can catch up a little. Busy week ahead! Hubby's b-day is Wednesday so we're planning to do a few things in celebration on top of my other responsibilities, which now include sewing lessons. I have always wished I knew how to sew and things just kinda fell into place when I met someone willing to teach me.

It is a little ironic that I'm just now learning to sew while we're doing this lesson. Maybe God is just insisting that I literally apply the things I'm learning.

Well, lucky for us, the attention shifts to someone else today. The husband.

23Her husband is respected at the city gate, 
   where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. 

Why, in the middle of all these passages about a woman's character, are we drawing attention to her husband's reputation? Because, again, this is written as instruction for a young man. It serves as a reminder to the reader that, to have a wife that is this exceptional, he too must be somebody respectable. 

So, as women, what can we take away from this? 

Definitely not that we need to go throw this scripture in his face and tell him to be bit better of a person... 

What this speaks to is unity. Unity in the home, between a man and his wife. 

Sometimes I get a little head strong. I told Allen a couple nights ago, "you met your match with me, and you just need to accept that." If you know anything about my husband it's that he does not sugar- coat anything. He will totally blurt out exactly what he's thinking, and the most maddening part about it is that he's usually right! The beauty (and sometimes the most painful part) of our marriage is that we bring balance to each other. In the areas I lack common sense, I have my living, breathing reality check. And when Allen fails to see the softer side of things, I'm usually there to interpret what people are feeling or reacting to. 

He is who he is. I am who I am. And it makes us who we are as a couple. 

The trouble comes when the lines blur. When I decide I want to be bold and obnoxious just to prove a point, or when he chooses to ignore all that he knows simply because it feels good. 

What we've read so far, in a nut shell, says, "she gets her work done, and he does his." They support each other in their own ways. Because she handles the home, the children, the cooking, the clothing, the finances- he is able to go, confidently, and contribute. Because he goes and accomplishes things in his community at a high level, he is able to support his family and also govern the home with wisdom. 

Our challenge today is to simply acknowledge and appreciate the characteristics in your spouse that bring harmony to your life. 

Thankful for the know-it-all
Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment