Tuesday, May 8, 2012

5 Ways to Cut Calories

I have really been working on my health. My biggest vice is sugar. Recognizing that, I'm trying to work a lot of it our of my daily diet. Here are a few things I have applied (at least most of the time) to help keep my calorie intake within a reasonable range.

1. Sit at the Table. Have I already gone on about this? Probably. The point is, eating while standing around, walking through the kitchen or watching TV means your not seeing how much you're actually eating. It also convinces you to eat more things like chips and cookies because they're easy and give you a quick fix. Bad plan. Those carbs leave you longing for more. Couple that with inactivity and you can say goodbye to your skinny jeans.

2. Drink more water. When we go out to eat, I usually get a soda. And then the server refills it twice while I'm not paying attention and 500 calories later... my day is sabotaged. Replace it with water with lemon. Easy and cheap!

3. Toughen up your drinks. Instead of a Venti Caramel Frappuccino, go for and Iced coffee with skim milk. I'm still working toward eliminating the sweeteners all together. Alcohol is another place you can spare the sugars, beer and mixed drinks are usually loaded with calories. Check out calorie king to see how many calories are in your drink (or anything else for that matter.)

4. No More Seconds. If you're really not full, ok, get some more. If you don't you'll be feeling snacky all day. But when you've eaten a good portion, stop. your body will never learn to feel satisfied on less unless you cut your portions down even when it's hard.

5. Exercise. Stop making excuses. I'm at home all day with 2 little guys and I have come to accept that getting out for a walk or a run everyday just isn't going to happen. So I play Hide-and-go-Tag with Ira. (It's our own game, the rules are still a little fuzzy..) It get's me moving. I also try to get some yoga or a workout in at home when the boys are calm. I love this site for yoga videos! She posts new ones every week.

So that's that. Hopefully we can all make some adjustments and soon be a little healthier!

Losing it-
Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment