Friday, October 14, 2011

It's in the Differences

It's been a while!
Since I last wrote Allen and I have settled into a new living space (still at home with my parents), given birth to a beautiful baby boy, taken a trip to see the other side of the family and moved Ira into his own room. Maybe that explains why I haven't been able to sit down long enough to write. If it doesn't, imagine housework for 6 people, breast feedings at least every 3 hours, diaper changes for 2 and OH YEAH! a kitchen remodel underway. Life is non-stop and I'm loving every minute.

What I really have to say today is not an original idea. As I said jokingly (or not so jokingly) to my family, the Lord told it to me twice so He must have wanted me to get it into my head.

It all started with pearls. If you know anything about them, you know that they are formed in a oyster as a reaction to an irritation. Pearls are such a precious and beautiful gem. The ones formed organically (rather than cultured pearls) are even more rare and special. The reflection here is that, in our own lives, it is the irritations in life that God produces something beautiful in us.

Let's be honest, most of our irritations in life are caused by people.

The problem is they're just not like us, right? I mean, why can't everyone see things the way I do, or react like I would in every situation?

Because 1. That would be really boring and 2. We would never grow.

Instead of applying these facts, because we all know them already, we assume we were put here on Earth to educate everyone we come in contact with into our way of thinking. HA! I'm going to help you skip a few chapters (because I have read them over and over). Usually the people who make you want to throw something heavy at them are the ones you need in your life the most. They are there to make you uncomfortable (not in a creepy way) and to open your mind a little.

The Bible talks about iron sharpening iron (proverbs 17:27), and we would be wise to realize that's not always a fun process.

Examine your life today, who are you trying to fix? Thank God for them, shut your mouth for a moment and take in what they have to say. Think of it as speeding up the process and getting your pearl a little sooner.

Sincerely Irritated-
Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment