Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Halloween- do or don't for the Christian Parent?

Growing up, sometimes we were aloud to dress up and go trick-or-treating, sometimes we went to a party and some years halloween was totally taboo. I would get so upset at this inconsistency, but now I can totally relate to my parents and their utter confusion regarding this topic.

So.. with this controversial holiday just around the corner, I've been doing a lot of thinking about how I personally feel about it and I thought I might offer some insight to parents in the same boat.

I will start by saying that I have heard a number of things regarding how the holiday started, the intentions behind it and the significance of the day itself. It 's complicated, at best, to really get down to the bottom of it.

I do know that October 31st has been speculated by some to be a night with significantly more demonic activity (read up on Perry Stone's website/ youtube if you are interested in the breakdown and other dates throughout the year with the same reputation. If I recall correctly, it was a teaching entitled "10 things the devil doesn't want you to know." I do believe he is a well studied man, and I find his teaching to be quite insightful.)

Anyhow.. The recent trend has been churches hosting large "harvest festivals" in place of "Halloween." I put it in quotations because I feel it's the same thing with a different name. Kids dress up, get candy, have fun. On one occasion a friend of mine with school-aged children seemed somewhat irritated that her mother took her kids to one of these festivals. Her complaint was "why not just celebrate Halloween?" And I kind of agreed with her. But still, I didn't come to a conclusion in my mind about how God feels about it or how I should, until a few weeks ago.

Fear. I have heard that God tells us "do not fear" 365 times in his word (no, I have not counted for myself). I also know He tells us that He has not given us a spirit of fear. With this in mind, why in the world would I want to let myself or my children participate in anything that makes fear acceptable and even desirable? I will not watch horror movies, go to haunted houses or do the monster mash (ok.. jk!) But honestly, the harvest festival thing is a great alternative.

 I think, for the most part, people have enough decency to not show up with their 4-year-old dressed like a grim reaper. I say if it's about having fun and celebrating the good things in life (like candy) go for it!

And as for demonic activity..
1. I know who my protector is no matter what day of the year, and
2. The whole point here is not to be fearful. Fear itself is not of or from God and opening yourself to it is absolutely paralyzing.

In hopes of not being a fun-sucker,
Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment